Templates can be set up for emails so that standard emails containing rich text that are approved by the partnership can be created for any client with infused merge fields. Refer to Overview of using Email Templates, Signatures and Merge Fields. Email Signatures and email Templates can only be set up and maintained by an FYI Admin, or a user in a User Group that has Permissions enabled for Templates. Refer to the section Templates and Signatures for Email.
Emails can be created from Templates in the following ways:
- In FYI, create a new document with the + button in the menu bar. Select the Client and when selecting and entering the filing fields, select the required Template.
- In FYI, from the Knowledge Cabinets, select the required Template and click Create. This automatically adds the selected Template in the filing details. You cannot create a document from an Email Template that has been marked as a Signature.
- In Outlook, open a new email, click the FYI icon on the Ribbon and in the FYI Drawer, select the Client.
In the Template drop-down, select the template you want to use.
Note: When the email has been created, this does not show the Template or Signature with which it was created.
Creating an Email from a Template in FYI
- From FYI, click the + button in the menu bar.
Select Email from the list of document types.
Or, from the workspace, simply press the shortcut key E for a new email.
In the Drawer, select the Client. Any defaults for filing categories (for the client or your defaults) are initially displayed.
If the client does not have an email address, or the email address is invalid, the Recipients link will display "0 Recipients", and the Create button will be disabled. Click the Recipients link to manually enter a new email address, or update the client account before creating a new email. Refer to Adding and Changing Recipients when Creating an Email.
- In Template, select the template you want to use.
- The subject of the email, and the name of the email in FYI, is set as the name of the template.
- If relevant for the selected template, defaults for the Cabinet and Categories are shown. These can be changed if needed.
If you have not selected a template, or there are no defaults for the template, if the selected Client has Filing Defaults for the Cabinet and Category, or you have Filing Defaults for your own settings or at the practice level, these display. They can be changed if required.
- Complete the filing details (refer to Using the Email Drawer) and attach any documents if required.
- Select how you want to save or send the email (refer to Sending Immediately or Saving a Draft).
- Click Create.
Make any changes as needed to the text.
For Merge Fields in the template such as for Client details, the values are automatically filled in as relevant for the selected client.
When creating an email as Draft in FYI, certain Merge Fields, such as those relating to the Author or Attachments, are only applied when the email is sent, or if the email is saved as Draft in Outlook. They are not applied until the final details and sender of the email has been determined and so do not display when editing the email in FYI. The following message displays as information.
You can use the Preview function in the Email Editor to see how the Merge Fields will populate, including those that relate to the sender of the email. These Merge Fields are only applied when the final sender of the email has been determined and so do not display when editing the email in FYI.
The Preview function is available from the tool bar in the Email Editor and opens the email in a new window in your browser. Refer to Previewing the Draft in FYI Email in Creating an Email in FYI.
Creating an Email with a Template from the Knowledge Cabinets in FYI
- From FYI, click the Knowledge menu option.
- From the Templates tab, select the required Email template. Email templates display the envelope icon in the Type column. You cannot create a document from an Email Template that has been marked as a Signature.
- Click Create in the tool bar.
- In the Drawer, select the Client. This automatically adds the selected Template in the filing details.
- Complete the Email filing details (refer to Using the Email Drawer).
- Click Create in the Drawer.
You can also click the Create tool at the top of the editor when an active Email Template is open.
Refer also to Using Knowledge Cabinets.
Creating an Email from a Template in Outlook
- Open a new email in Outlook, then click the FYI icon on the Ribbon. If you are prompted to login to FYI, enter your Microsoft account and password.
- In the FYI Drawer, select the Client.
- In the Template section, select the template you want to use.
- Click Insert Template.
The email is created. The subject of the email, and the name of the email in FYI, is set as the name of the template. For any merge fields in the template, the values are automatically filled in as relevant for the selected client, author, etc.
- Make any changes as needed and save the email as a draft in Outlook or Send the email.
The email is filed in FYI with the filing details for the Categories set as defined in the template.