Users (Staff) are imported from your practice management software as relevant and continuously synchronised in FYI. For more information on synchronising with your Practice Management software refer to Apps and Integrations.
There is no limit to the number of users you can add to your FYI platform.
Displaying the Users List
- Log in to FYI as an FYI Admin.
- From FYI, click Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Practice settings from the drop-down, then select General.
- Go to the User tab. The user list will be displayed.
- Use the Views drop-down to select the Active view to see a list of active users only.
From the All view, click the Hide inactive users button to hide Inactive users on the list.
To show the inactive users, click the Unhide inactive users button.
Columns can be added or removed from the Columns tab on the left-hand side. You can sort and filter the information in the Users list.
Users can set the AutoFile Mode in their My Settings (refer to AutoFile Mode in Setting Defaults and Filing Defaults for your Own Login - My Settings) and an FYI Admin can set this for users with the Users Bulk Update function. Refer below to Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Update (Bulk Edit).
Note: FYI Support users are created to allow the FYI team to investigate support requests, and display the label "Free Account". These users are automatically removed each day. You will not be charged for these accounts. Ensure you leave any FYI Support users active. Refer to Sending a Support Request.
Updating a User/Assigning a User as an FYI Admin
From the Users list, click on a user to open the User Profile drawer.
Update the fields as required. Any changes will be automatically applied. Refer to the sections below for more details on managing a user.
The Activity section in the User profile shows changes made to the User profile, with the name of the user who made the change, and also shows any changes the user made themselves in their My Settings (refer to Setting Defaults and Filing Defaults for your Own Login - My Settings). Changes saved automatically will be displayed in the Activity section the next time the User Profile drawer is opened.
Note: If the text related to the activity is longer than one line, hover over the text to see the full description in the activity drawer.
Making a User Active
Mark that a user is "Active" by clicking the Active option to "On".
Tip: You can select whether new users are created as Active or Inactive by default. Refer to Managing Practice Settings.
Making a User Inactive
Rather than remove a user, you can mark a user as "Inactive" by clicking the Active option to "Off". An Inactive user will not be able to log in to FYI and will see the message "No account associated with your email address"
- Before making a user Inactive, refer to the FAQ Steps to Complete before Offboarding a Team Member or Making a User Inactive.
- For practices with a Practice Management integration, making a user inactive or deleting the user in your Practice Management system will not make the user inactive in FYI. The user needs to be changed to "Inactive" in FYI.
- Any users who are "Inactive" will still appear as internal users when selecting Recipients in Emails as there may be instances where the user is Inactive in FYI, but your practice still requires an email to be sent to them (refer to Adding and Changing Recipients when Creating an Email).
- Inactive user names will still be displayed for Documents, including the Activity log, if the user has modified the document. If the user is assigned to any of the fields, for example as a Partner, the field will still display the user name even though the user is inactive.
- Inactive users will not be included in Filters, for example when filtering the Jobs List by the Job Partner.
Assigning the User Group
User Groups determine the Cabinet(s) the users in that group can access.
User Groups can also be set up with the Permissions to determine which FYI functions the users in that group can access. Alternatively, User Groups can be set with only the Cabinets or only the Permissions. Refer to Managing User Groups.
- To make the user an FYI Admin, select the Cabinet Group as "Admin".
- When selecting the Cabinet Group, if this is set up with both Cabinets and Permissions (as in Standard User in the example above), only the Cabinet Group is selected and Permission Group is not available.
- If a Cabinet Group is selected that does not include Permissions, you need to then select a User Group that holds the Permissions.
Assigning Approval Level to an Active User
Select the Approval Level for the user from the drop-down. This is used in the workflow and allows more senior members to sign off on documents. Refer to Workflow Basics.
The Email Alias is only relevant for users that are added directly to FYI. An alternate email can be entered so that if the user is unable to use the original email, they can log in with the email alias. You cannot add or edit the Email Alias of an existing user, but you can delete it from a user's profile.
For practices integrated with Xero Practice Manager, if a user needs to log in to FYI with an Email Alias, this needs to be linked to the Xero Practice Manager login email address using the Magic Link. Refer to Logging into FYI with an Email Alias set up using Magic Link.
To view the details the user is logged in with, click Settings in the top right-hand corner. The name of the user and the email address they logged in with will be displayed.
Note: If a user has an Alias set up in their profile, email notifications will be sent to the email address that is set up as the Alias.
To remove an Email Alias, click the X on the field.
Assigning User Settings
For each user, you can enter the user role within the practice. This is entered as free format text (for example Director, Partner, Accountant). This can be added to email signatures and document templates by including the Merge Code "AuthorRole" in templates. Refer to the articles in the sections Templates and Stationery and Templates and Signatures for Email.
You can enter the user qualifications. These are entered as free text. This can be added to the sign-off in emails and documents by including the Merge Code "AuthorQualifications" or "OwnerQualifications" (for the owner of the document) in templates. Refer to the articles in the sections Templates and Stationery and Templates and Signatures for Email.
A Default Email Signature can be set up for your practice can be set up that will be used for all users unless a specific Email Signature is selected in the user profile. Refer to Creating Email Templates and Signatures.
- To use the Default Email Signature, leave the Signature field in the User profile blank.
- To use another Email Signature, select the signature that is applicable to the user.
The name of the Partner associated with the user can be selected. This would commonly be where the user works for only one, or for one main Partner. When a user has a Partner assigned in their User Profile, they can use the Show documents of Clients for My Partner function in document lists. This displays documents for any Clients that are assigned to the Partner who that user is associated with in their User Profile (refer to Using the Documents Lists). The Partner can also be set for more than one user with Bulk Edit (see below Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit).
Cabinet and Categories
FYI provides the ability to set Filing Defaults for the Cabinet and the Categories for each client (refer to Setting Filing Defaults for a Client). If Filing Defaults are not set up at a client level, FYI checks to see if the user filing the documents has their own personal Filing Defaults when creating documents and for AutoFile. Users can set up or change these defaults themselves from My Settings (refer to Setting Defaults and Filing Defaults for your Own Login - My Settings).
The Cabinet and any Categories used as the Filing Defaults for a user can also be set and updated in the User Profile. Any changes made are reflected in the user's My Settings.
In the User Profile, select the Cabinet. The Categories for that Cabinet display so that any selections can optionally be made for the default Category to apply as the default.
The Cabinet and Categories can also be set for more than one user with Bulk Edit (see below Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Edit).
Changing Filing Defaults and Settings with Bulk Update (Bulk Edit)
When one or more user is selected in the Users list, you can click the Bulk Edit button to change user settings. This can also be used to set the default Cabinet and Category for the selected user(s).
The Bulk Update displays.
If any of the fields are not changed, this will keep the original setting in each of the selected users. A message is displayed in the drawer as a reminder of this.
- Select one or more users in the Users list.
- Click the Bulk Edit button.
- To set the default Cabinet or Categories for the selected User(s), in the Bulk Update, select the Cabinet.
Then select the Categories as relevant.
- You can use Bulk Update to enable/disable Use FYI Desktop for all or selected users. In Bulk Update set Use FYI Desktop to "Yes" or "No" as required for the users being updated. Refer to FYI Desktop App.
- You can use Bulk Update to set the AutoFile Mode for the selected users.
- To change any other settings for the selected User(s), select these as relevant in Bulk Update.
- Apply to gives you the option of the number of selected documents or the number of filtered users currently displayed in the User List.
- Click Run.
Displaying Additional Columns in Users List
In the Users list, you can display the Cabinet that has been set as the default for users by adding the Cabinet column to the Users list. This will also display the default Cabinet which users have set themselves from their individual settings.
You can also display the users' Approval Level and the Role Cabinets (that is the Cabinets the user can access according to the User Group the user is assigned to). If any of the Role Cabinets have been deleted these display with "(deleted)" after the name in the list. Refer to Adding/Removing/Moving Columns in the Documents Lists.
The Send Invitation function in the Users list can be used to send an email to the relevant user as an invitation to start using FYI. You can invite new users to start using FYI at any time.
The Send Invitation button displays when one or more users are selected in the list.
The Send Invitation button displays for any users who are marked as "Active". The email includes links to the FYI Login page and the Microsoft AppSource pages so they can add the FYI Add-ins individually to their Microsoft Office and Outlook accounts. Refer to Inviting New Users to Start Using FYI.
New and Changed Users from your Practice Management Software
You can add or edit users in your practice management software and this will synchronise through to FYI.
To control whether new users are automatically marked as active, refer to Managing Practice Settings.
To add and edit users in Xero Practice Manager, go to the Business tab and select Settings, then click on Staff. Click Invite Staff, fill out the required details and click Save.
Any changes will synchronise through to FYI overnight.
Note: An FYI Admin can manually synchronise Users to update the change in FYI straight away. Refer to Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
Adding New Users Directly to FYI
You can also add FYI users directly to FYI. This can be useful, for example, if you have support users or financial planners that you don't want to pay for a licence as users in your practice management software, but you want them to have access to information in FYI.
- From the User tab, click Add.
A blank User Profile displays.
- Enter the new user's Name and Email.
- In the same way as for an imported user, select the Cabinet Group, and if relevant the Permission Group. If the user is an FYI Admin select the Cabinet Group as "Admin".
- Mark the new user as Active.
- If relevant enter the Role, select the Approval Level, enter the Email Alias, select the Signature and, if relevant, select the Cabinet and any Categories for the Filing Defaults.
- Click Save.
A check is made that a user does not already exist with that Email or Email Alias.
You can update the details of a user created directly in FYI at any time, including updating the Name.
Note: It would be rare to do so, but you can add a user directly to FYI that will also be added to your practice management software. If you need to do this, you will then need to maintain any changes to that user both in your practice management software and in FYI.
Changing the Name of a User in FYI
For practices integrated with Xero Practice Manager, changing the name of a user in FYI can only be done by a user in Xero.
- Log into Xero (not Xero Practice Manager).
- Click your initials in the top-right of the screen.
- Click Edit Profile.
- Update the details.
- For the changes to take effect, log out of Xero, and then log back in.
Once the above steps are done, this will automatically synchronise. If you need to see the change straight away, an FYI Admin can do a manual sync. Refer to Running a Manual Sync with Xero Practice Manager and Additional Notes on Syncing.
Learn Dashboard and Admin Learn Dashboard Views
From the View selector in the Users list, you can select the Learn Dashboard or the Admin Learn Dashboard view to display the columns that show the status of each user for each of the FYI Learn courses.
The Status for each user for each course displays as "Not Started", "In Progress" or "Completed".
The Learn Dashboard displays the columns for the courses for standard users.
The Admin Learn Dashboard view displays the columns for the courses for FYI Admin users.
This information is not currently displayed when opening the User profile drawer.